A: What is the Physics 500 Project?
The Physics 500 Project is the beginning of an attempt by the SAIP to identify and track physicists in Industry.The purposes of the project are:
- To identify industries in South Africa that employ physicists,
- To identify physicists working in South Africa,
- To use this information to promote physics,
- To promote collaboration between the SAIP and industry.
B: Who can take part in the project?At present, to qualify as a Physics 500 participant, you must satisfy the following conditions:
- Have at least a B.Sc (Hons) in physics, or equivalent,
- Be currently working for industry in South Africa.
In this case, industry means any business, especially one that employs physicists. This specifically excludes academic staff at academic/ teaching institutions unless they have an income-sharing arrangement with their institution.
If your current occupation does not specifically use your physics training, you are still encouraged to complete the survey - your experiences may be valuable to others.
C: Why should you take part in the project?
If you satisfy the above conditions, you are encouraged to participate in this project to promote the potential for physics in South Africa.
Furthermore, there may be additional incentive draws for qualifying participants. In order to qualify for the incentives, participants must provide all requested information and allow their information to be included in the brochure.
The project co-ordinators email address is visible to registered participants, on the main page.